Vedas are the sacred Hindu scriptures that embody eternal knowledge. To understand the esoteric divine truths in the Vedas, a study of certain subjects called `Vedangas` are required. Vedangas or limbs of Vedas are six in number.
VedangasThey are shiksha, chhanda, vyakarana, nirukta, kalpa, and jyotisha or astrology.
Vedic AstrologyAstrology is an important part of Vedas as it represents the eyes to see the past, present and future. It is the scientific study of heavenly bodies that are mapped in the form of horoscope. Based on their locations at the time of one`s birth, it indicates specific happenings in a person`s life.
Sub-divisions of AstrologyThere are three main sub-divisions in Astrology: samhita, Ganita, hora
- Samhita deals with general predictions of happenings that affect masses collectively like cyclones, government elections, market study of stocks, floods, changes affecting government, forecast of weather etc.
- Siddhanta or Ganita deals with the mathematical aspects of Astrology.
- Hora deals with the study of birth charts or horoscopes. It also includes muhurtha or electional astrology, which is election of favorable planetary positions to achieve important things in life like marriage, building a new house etc.
Principle of cause and effectVedic Astrology is based on the principle of cause and effect. Horoscope reveals one`s good and bad actions performed over lifetimes by studying the position of planets and stars at the time of one`s birth. Planets produce their bad and good effects based on their positions in the birth chart. A good astrologer can suggest remedies to propitiate the various planets and overcome the bad effects.
Role of PlanetsPlanets are considered as representatives of Gods in Vedic Astrology. Sage Parashara, the father of Vedic Astrology says that the knowledge of Vedic Astrology was first passed on to sage Vyasa by Lord Krishna. Each planet has a deity that governs it. Propitiating a particular deity representing a planet would help mitigate the malefic effects caused by that particular planet. For example, those with bad Saturn should pray to Lord Kurma for relief and blessings.
- Sun represents Lord Rama. Those with weak Sun should pray to Rama to strengthen their Sun and ward off negative results
- Moon represents Lord Krishna.
- Mars stands for Lord Narasimha
- Mercury stands for Lord Buddha
- Jupiter stands for Lord Vamana
- Venus stands Lord Parashurama
- Saturn stands for Lord Kurma
- Rahu stands for Lord Varaha
- Ketu stands for Lord Matsya