In Vedic Astrology, Saturn is one of the malefic planets who will cause suffering in different ways. In Sanskrit, Saturn is called Shani.
Position of Saturn in a HoroscopeSaturn was installed as a planet that will govern karma and dharma in a horoscope. He will enter one`s horoscope as the karmic Guru and will ensure one learns the life lessons and pass the tests. Saturn symbolizes struggle and under his influence one is said to face the toughest challenges and hardships. He causes adverse effects on a native when he occupies positions in a horoscope like:
- Saturn in the 12th, 1st and 2nd house from the Moon, which is seven and a half years called Sade Sati.
- Saturn in 8th house from the Moon called Ashtama Shani.
- Saturn in the 4th house called Ardha Ashtama Shani.
Ways to please ShaniTo ward off the evil effects of Saturn or Shani caused by the cycles of Saturn, one must propitiate him through many ways. One`s problems and struggles can be overcome through sincere prayers to him.
Worship of DeitiesWorship of Hanuman especially, Dakshinamukhi Hanuman or south facing Hanuman is a best way to attract the blessings of Saturn. Kalabhairava should be worshipped to get protection from Saturn`s ill effects when he transits the lagna as it causes financial difficulties, dental problems and health problems. Saturn will be pleased when prayers are offered to Bhairava form of Shiva. Regular worship to Sri Lakshmi Narasimha Swamy, Tirupati Lord Venkateshwara helps one get protection from the evil effects of Saturn and attracts the blessings of Saturn too. Saturn is a great devotee of Lord Vishnu. Worshipping Lord Vishnu with bija mantras will purify the bad effects caused due to ill placed Saturn in the horoscope.
- Om Shreem Vishnave Namaha – This mantra dispels negativity and helps attract a good spouse.
- Om Kleem Vishnave Namaha – When Saturn is afflicted in the 7th house this mantra should be recited. It helps fulfill one`s desires.
- Om Hreem Vishnave Namaha –To strengthen one`s career, this mantra has to be recited.
Mantra chanting as astrological remedy to propitiate SaturnWhen Saturn is placed in the 8th house, then “Om Namo Narayanaya“must be chanted to secure protection against evil. If Saturn is weakly placed in a chart and if one has to strengthen the position of Saturn, then one must recite: “Om Sanischaraya Namaha”.
Saturday worship for pleasing Shani
- Reading of Hanuman Chalisa on Saturdays helps one to escape from the ill effects of the planet.
- Make curd rice with cumin and offer it to Saturn in a temple on Saturdays and then feed crows with it.
- Fasting on Saturdays from sunrise to sunset with only liquids will please him the most.
- Donate black sesame on Saturdays or light a til oil lamp to Saturn on Saturdays.
- Feeding handicapped people on Saturdays pleases Saturn the most.
- Offer til oil lamp under a peepal tree on Saturday mornings and recite the Shani Stuti:
- Shami tree also known as khejari or saangri is associated with Saturn. One should light a lamp of mustard oil on Saturdays under this tree to please Saturn