The supreme divine incarnation of Lord Muruga took place in the Tamil month of Vaigasi (mid May – mid June) on a Full Moon day in the asterism or nakshatra `Vishaka`. The auspicious Vishaka nakshatra is a combination of three stars that shines brightly in the sky. It is the sixteenth nakshatra of the 27. This year it falls on 28th May.
Birth of Muruga
Six faces of MurugaThen Goddess Parvati embraced the six babies and made it as one with six heads and 12 hands. So he is called Shanmuga. The six faces of Muruga stand for: creation, preservation, destruction, involution, supreme grace, and primal source of wisdom. He is the God of all knowledge and imparted the meaning of the primordial cosmic word OM to his father, Lord Shiva.
Festival of Vaigasi Visakam
- It was on this day that Lord Muruga manifested to destroy the dark forces and establish dharma and grant supreme protection and wisdom.
- Many Muruga temples hold the 10 day Brahmotsavam festival on Vaigasi Visakham.
- Devotees carry Pal kudam (milk pots) to do milk abisekam to Muruga and vow to carry kavadi ( a decorated yoke) on their shoulders in procession to the temple of Muruga .
- On this day, in temples special pooja, homa, aarti and abisekam are done to Muruga to seek his blessings.
- The divine wedding of Muruga to Valli is conducted on this day in many temples. It is very auspicious to conduct or see this wedding as all problems relating to marriage will be solved and happiness and auspiciousness would be conferred upon by the Lord.
How to pray at home
- Lord Muruga is the embodiment of purest and highest knowledge and power. Praying to him on this day will relieve one of past sins and grant purification.
- At home, we can prepare sweet pongal as food offering to Muruga and recite Subramanya Bhujangam of Adi Sankara, Thirupughazh of Saint Arunagirinathar and other hymns in praise of him.
- Sage Agasthya in his writings tells us to offer red oleander flowers and not less than six nagalinga flowers to lord Muruga on this day. When offering nagalinga flowers he urges us to donate food to the needy as a must.
- Visit to Muruga temple on this day would confer immeasurable merit and earn the grace of the supreme Lord.