Introduction to Panguni Uthiram:
Panguni is the last month of the year as per the Tamil calendar. The significance of Panguni Uthiram is that the full moon day and Uthiram (Uttara Phalguni) Nakshatra coincides. It is a very significant day, as it is celebrated as Holi in north India. Panguni Uthiram has very special importance for the Hindus across the globe. Lord Muruga’s temples will have enormous celebrations on this day.
Also known as the “Phalguni Purnima”, this day is celebrated as the most famous Holi festival in North India. Demoness Holika, the sister of Hiranyakasipu was destroyed on this day. At the onset of spring, various other festivals celebrated on this day are Basant Panchami (AP), Ganga Mela (UP), Manjal Kuli (Kerala) and Dol Purnima (Bengal).
Importance of Panguni Uthiram:
Panguni Uthiram is one of the prominent days and the most celebrated festival. It is important to note that, several celestial weddings or divine marriages of gods took place on this divine day. Indian History talk about the celestial marriages between Shiva and Parvati, Muruga and Devayani, Andal and Ranganathan, and Rama and Sita happened on this divine day. Lord Ayyappa, the incarnation of Goddess Mahalakshmi was born on this day.
The events at Lord Muruga Temples
There are elaborate events organized in temples of Lord Muruga. Several devotees walk to the temple with Kavadi, an arc placed on a wooden log, which is placed across the shoulders. Several special feasts and things like milk, sandal paste, and rose water are carried on this Kavadi. Chariots are also highly important in this day, as it is used to make processions around Lord Muruga’s temples. Thousands of devotees flock in the temple.
Other events in temples:
Brahmanda Purana, an ancient Indian sacred text suggests that all the holy waters of the universe mix with the Thumburu Theerth, the holy water tank in the Tirumala Tirupati hills. Abishekam, divine bath for gods are done using this water, a lot of devotees also dip in this special water to wash their sins away.
Rituals and Panguni Uthiram Vratham:
- On Panguni Uthiram day, all the rituals to be observed by the devotees will start from the early morning. Devotees bathe early in the morning and offer prayers for the chief deity of Lord Muruga in the home.
- Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati are also worshipped enormously on this day by lighting lamp in front of the idol. Devotees decorate the idol with flowers and present Panguni “Prasadam”.
- Devotees cook special foods in their home and make it a divine offering to the Gods.
- And devotees go to the Lord Muruga temple and Lord Shiva in Panguni Uthiram day to get the prosperity of god for the goodness of their life.
- Devotees who are fasting should abstain from food, eating fruits and consuming milk is allowed.
- Soaking raw rice in turmeric is known as “Akshada” which has divine powers and curative effects with enormous blessings from the Almighty. People prepare it and make it a part of the ritual. It is then distributed among the family, friends, and relatives.
- A lot of devotees would take “Kavadi” on this special day. it is a special arrangement with flowers, fruits and placed with special offerings to be submitted for the lord. They should wear clean clothes, and should not use footwear while holding the Kavadi. Chanting the divine name of God will bring prosperous results.
- Bride seeking suitable groom, and vice-versa, will perform “Thirukalyanam”, sacred marriage ritual between god and the goddess. Being a part of this Thirukalyanam would bring benevolence in life.
- A lot of devotees would walk a long distance from their Native town to the shrine. It is also one kind of paying tribute to the Almighty, which brings enormous positive results in the lives of devotees.
- Devotees with challenges in marital life and childbirth will observe special prayers this day to gain divine blessings.
- Devotees pray for relief from long-term body pain, discomfort and organ disorder, would walk a long distance to the temple to seek remedy gain blessings.
The significance of Fasting:
Obstacles in marriage and challenges in bearing a child would become highly beneficial. Lord Muruga will become the armor for his devotees and protect them against all problems of life. Panguni Uthiram will remove any malign effect of planets, and are under the influence of negative effects can observe fastings and involve in prayer. Observing this fast with enormous faith and utmost dedication would remove the obstacles in marriage and also we would be blessed with wealth. Fasting and participating in the “Panguni Uthiram”, the celebration would bring enormous changes in life.
Invoke the Blessings of the Divine Couples on Panguni Uthiram to Overcome Conflicts in Relationships
Leave a Reply