"Nadi Astrology is an ancient art of predicting the destiny of man." It is believed that in Dwapara yuga, seven rishis or saptarishis - Agasthya, Kaushika, Vyasa, Bhogar, Bhrigu, Vasishta and Valmiki,out of infinite compassion for mankind through their yogic mystic powers could foresee the happenings in the lives of men, past and future and they gave out this transcendental knowledge of Nadi predictions in a poetic manner. To them man`s suffering is due to his past actions and they showed remedies to come out of it and lead a good life.
- The nadi was written down in ancient Tamil script called, Vatta eluzhuthu, in palm leaf manuscripts.
- There are different types of nadis written down by the Rishis and also there is a nadi called Siva nadi, which is in a dialogue form between the Lord and his consort Parvati.
- Saint Kakabusanda also sang verses to his beloved disciple, Goraknath about the destinies of men. And his nadi is called, kakabusanda nadi.
- There are Nadis like Ganesh Nadi, Brahma Nadi, Muruga nadi, tantra nadi, Shakti nadi, Atri nadi, Nandi nadi, Dhruva Nadi, jeeva nadi and Suka nadi.
- These nadi leaves are preserved by applying peacock oil on it on auspicious occasions.
- It is believed that these leaves are written only for the destined souls, who would seek the leaf, on their own accord at the destined hour.