Before getting into the differences between Sun sign and Moon sign, let us first understand what they are.
What is a Sun Sign?
Sun at the time of one’s birth will be positioned in one of the 12 zodiac signs and the sign where the Sun was positioned becomes the person’s Sun Sign. Each of these signs is ruled by a planet and support a specific set of qualities and characteristics. When a person is born under a sign he/she automatically acquires the qualities of that specific sign that defines the appearance and mannerisms of that person. E.g. Aries is ruled by Mars and people born under this sign are- Strong with sharp features. They will be open-hearted, honest, frank and courageous. They are spontaneous and action-oriented.
What is a Moon Sign?
It is the sign where the Moon was at the time of one’s birth. Moon governs the mind and emotions and thus one’s Moon sign would indicate about the inner self of a person. Moreover, if one’s Moon sign is Aries, then the person will have qualities of Aries along with qualities influenced by either of the birth stars - Ashwini, Bharani and Krittika, which also come under Aries. E.g. A person born under Aries Moon sign with Ashwini birth star will be blessed with the qualities influenced by Aries and Ashwini. That means the person will be strong, courageous and active with pleasing manners and handsome appearance. Let us now understand the difference between Sun sign and Moon sign
- It is the zodiac sign in one’s horoscope where Sun was in transit during birth.e.g. If you are Pisces, that means Sun was in Pisces at the time of your birth.
- It is based on the date of birth. It can be easily derived by matching one’s date of birth with the fixed pattern of Sun’s movement.
- Sun takes 12 months to travel through the 12 signs. That means it stays in one sign for one month. This means that the Sun sign predictions for a person will be good for one month.
- Sun sign predictions would deal with one’s personality, the way life is approached and the factors contributing to one’s conscious day to day behavior.
- Two people with same Sun sign could have same nature and personality traits.
- Sun sign predictions are based only on the position of Sun and will not take other planets into consideration.
- Sun sign predictions are more generic
- It is the zodiac sign in one’s horoscope where Moon was in transit during birth.e.g. While Sun was Pisces, the Moon might be in Aries, so the Moon sign will be Aries.
- It is based on date, place and time of birth and it can be derived by using astrological calculation.
- Moon stays in a sign for 2 and half days. So as the position of Moon changes, it will bring corresponding changes in the predictions of a person.
- Moon sign predictions would indicate about the emotional side of a person. The way one’s subconscious mind works.
- Two people with same Moon sign may have very different set of characteristics. Sometimes, two people with same Sun sign do not have identical qualities and that is because they have different Moon signs.
- The Moon sign predictions will take into account the position of other planets and Nakshatras.
- Moon sign predictions will be more elaborate and precise.
Moon Sign Astrology has an Edge over Sun Sign Both Sun and Moon plays an important role in guiding the destiny of an individual. However, Moon sign predictions are considered more accurate, comprehensive and elaborate as it takes into consideration every minute movement or aspect of celestial activity. That is why Vedic astrology, which follows Moon sign predictions, is held in high esteem by many scientific, astronomically minded people.