Eclipses, whether solar or lunar, are major events in astrology. They can have many effects on your life. In 2023, the first lunar eclipse will be in May.
The first lunar eclipse of 2023 will take place on Friday, May 5, 2023. The eclipse will begin at 8.45 pm. The complete eclipse will be for about 10.53 minutes. The eclipse will end at 1 pm. This eclipse duration is for 4 hours 15 minutes.
The Sutak period of the eclipse begins about 9 hours earlier. But the first lunar eclipse of 2023 won’t be visible in India, so its Sutak period is not valid in India. The Sutak period is an inauspicious period that comes before the lunar eclipse. Hindus believe that the earth’s atmosphere becomes contaminated during this time. So some precautions need to be taken to avoid the harmful effects of the lunar eclipse.
Though the Lunar Eclipse will not be seen in India, it has astrological importance. The Moon and Ketu will be together on this day. Major planets like Sun and Guru are also with Rahu when the lunar eclipse happens. Mars and Venus are also together. Interestingly, on the day of the Lunar Eclipse 2023, all the planets will be located opposite each other.
But planet Saturn will remain in Aquarius, its zodiac sign. Still, as all the planets are with opposing planets, people may face challenges in life. To avoid this, one should perform some astrological remedies. These can protect you from the side effects of the eclipse. One remedy is to take only one meal on the day of the eclipse. Some other measures should also be taken.
Effects of a Lunar Eclipse
The Lunar Eclipse, especially a total eclipse, brings opportunities to create major changes in your life. The changes may happen suddenly, as Lunar Eclipses often bring information from out of the blue. You may feel surprised or even caught off guard. You could learn some startling things about others and yourself. It need not be completely negative. Some of it can inspire and encourage you to change your life.
Like Full Moons, Lunar eclipses reveal hidden truths. It can bring some dramatic moments, and the truths that surface may compel you to change your life course. One should accept what the eclipse reveals and try not to fight it. Use the energy to create the highest manifestation. Even if there is some unwanted news or events, you should understand that it is just the Universe creating a situation that will help you to evolve.
Tips to Avoid the Side-effects of The Lunar Eclipse
1) On the day of the lunar eclipse, chant Mantras related to Shiva and the Moon-
– Om Namah Shivay Mantra
– Om Hrim Chandraya Namah
– Om Ain Klein Somaya Namah
– Om Som Somaya Namah
– Om Shree Shree Shree Sah Chandramse Namah
– Om Chandraya Namah
2) After the eclipse, bathe the Shiva idol with Panchamrit the next day. You can also perform Abishekam with water for Shiva with the Mantra mentioned below. This can bring success.
Dadhi Shankha Tusha Rabham Kshirod Arnav Sambhavam. Namami Shashinam Som Shambhormukut Bhushan.
3) Donate white clothes, ghee, silver, milk, pearls, rice, oysters, conch shells, and camphor.
4) Instal Chandra Yantra in your home. Worship it after the eclipse ends.
5) Recite Shivmahima Stotra and Chandra Kavach, both during and after the eclipse.
6) Donate milk and white milk sweets to poor children.
7) After the eclipse, recite Sarpa Suktam in a Shiva temple.
8) After the eclipse, take a bath in water with some frankincense mixed in it. This can remove Rahu’s adverse effects.
Make sure that you consult a good astrologer before performing these remedies.
Things to Remember During the Sutak Period
(Not applicable for the 1st Lunar Eclipse 2023 in India)
- Avoid consuming food.
- Pregnant women should remain inside the house and not go out.
- Avoid cooking any food.
- Avoid sleeping, eating, cutting nails or hair, and drinking.
- Protect grains and cereals by adding tulsi leaves or kusha grass to them.
- Try to avoid urination or defecation.
- Medicines can be taken after consuming food.
- Avoid applying oil to the hair or body.