Fixing of Muhurtam or auspicious timeAfter the house is complete, muhurtam or an auspicious time is fixed to enter into the house based on astrological calculations. Highly favorable months to move into a new house are: Magha month (January-February) for wealth gain, Phalguna month (February-March) for good children and accumulation of wealth, Baisakh month (April-May) for growth of wealth and prosperity, Jyeshta month (May-June) for birth of son and owning cattle or luxuries.
Decorating the houseThe doors are decorated with mango leaves and fresh flowers. Banana stems are also tied to the poles for ushering in prosperity. Rangolis of rice flour are drawn at the entrance and at the doorway for decorative purposes.
Performing Vaastu Pooja
- This pooja is done before entering a new house. It is done to please the Vaastu deity with the help of a Brahmin priest. Chants are recited to invoke Vaastu Devata`s blessings for peace and negation of all evil energies like jealousy and ill will of others.
- Vaastu Deity is appeased outside the house with a breaking of ash gourd by the man of the house and this is left at the entrance at the two sides of the threshold of the house. The lady breaks a coconut and this is also placed on the threshold.
- Then kalash pooja is done to a copper pot or kalash. The pot is filled with water, nine types of grains or navadhanya, and a coin. A coconut is tied around with a red cloth and placed on the kalash with mango leaves placed at the sides of the kalash. The priest does pooja to this pot with recitation of sacred mantras.
- Both the husband and wife carry this pot inside the house and place it near the ceremonial fire place or havan.
- At the time of traditional entry, a cow and a calf are let in first before the family members enter for auspicious energies and to welcome prosperity into their households.