Tarpanam and its BenefitsThe process of offering food to the souls of departed ancestors on a New Moon day is called Tarpanam. If the departed person died in a disturbed state of mind, the ritual will ease their emotional pain which binds them to the world and help release the souls into divine light. When the souls go into the light, they send their blessings to their descendants.
- Place a teaspoon of a mixture of the black sesame seeds and rice, a coin, a few small pieces of dharba grass into the palm of your right hand.
- Sprinkle few drops of water over the offerings
- Make a heartfelt prayer to your ancestors and you pour the water over the offerings and say “I call upon 6 generations of dead ancestors on my father’s side to come to me now and accept this offering. Take this energy. Be healed, be at peace, cross into the light. I ask that you be released from the earth plane.”
- Ask your ancestors to send you their blessings.
- Pour the rest of the water to wash off the offerings completely.