Panchang means spiritual calendar. Panchang gives one the knowledge of time. Vedas declare that knowledge of Panchang frees a person from all sins and gives salvation unto him.
Benefits Of PanchangPancha means five and anga means limbs or attributes. They are five attributes of time, namely: Vara, tithi, nakshatra, yoga and karana. Knowledge of Vara bestows longevity Knowledge of tithi bestows wealth Knowledge of nakshatra removes sins Knowledge of yoga cures diseases Knowledge of karana gives success in work Rishis tell us upon waking up; one must recite the panchang to derive the above spiritual benefits.
5 Attributes Of Panchang1.Vaar means days of the week. Seven days of the week are ruled by the seven planets. Shadow planets, Rahu and Ketu are associated with Tuesday and Saturday.
- Sunday is ruled by Surya( the Sun)
- Monday is ruled by Soma (the Moon)
- Tuesday is ruled by Mangala( Mars)
- Wednesday is ruled by Budha (Mercury)
- Thursday is ruled by Guru (Jupiter)
- Friday is ruled by Shukra (Venus)
- Saturday is ruled by Shani(Saturn)
Uses of Panchang
- Panchang is used for fixing muhurthas (spiritually powerful time periods in each day) for auspicious events, preparation of horoscope, for sankalpa, fixing dates for vrattas and shraddas.
- One can also know about the unfavorable periods in a day through panchang like Rahu kaalam and Yamagandam . They are inauspicious time periods unsuitable for material activities.
- Position of the sun, moon and other planets are also known through panchang.