Krishna Jayanthi is the birthday celebration of Lord Krishna, the most endearing and enchanting of all the Archetypes. He is the Supreme personality of Godhead who came on the earth plane to annihilate negative forces that were on the verge of overpowering justice and morality.
Just as we celebrate our birth anniversaries expecting gifts from parents and relatives, participating in rituals to Krishna on His birthday blesses one to achieve bigger gifts of life.
Here is why one should celebrate Krishna Jayanthi
- To celebrate the essence of Krishna – Krishna was a manifestation of joy at all levels of life. He taught the mankind the ideal way of life. Krishna Jayanthi is a celebration to invite the energies of Krishna in one’s life to overcome all sufferings and negativities and live life to the fullest potential.
- Progeny and welfare of children – Krishna Jayanthi is a day to cherish the innocence and playfulness of the children at home. Propitiation of Bal Gopal on Krishna Jayanthi blesses one with progeny and ensures well-being of children.
- Gain qualities bestowed by Krishna – Krishna was born under the Rohini Nakshatra. It is a Nakshatra of highly creative, eloquent and good looking people with a magnetic personality. Worshipping Krishna on His birthday, when the Moon is in Rohini star, one can imbibe the qualities supported by the Nakshatra.
- Absolves Doshas and Planetary Afflictions – Krishna is the embodiment of love and divine joy, and his blessings would absolve hurdles and problems in one’s relationship. Krishna Jayanthi is a good day to seek lord’s grace for bringing in harmony and also to clear the negative influences of unfavorable planet, especially Saturn.
- Removal of Sins – Krishna absolves the sins of his ardent devotees and fulfills their heart desires even without their asking. One way of doing it is by chanting the powerful mantra (given below ) by him on the day of his birthday.
Krishna said “It is not possible to see me as you have done through the study of the Vedas or by austerities or gifts or by sacrifice; it is only by one-pointed devotion (Bhakti) to me and me alone that you thus see and know me as I am in reality and ultimately reach me”.
Story of a Krishna devotee…………..as told by him,
“After finishing the rituals to Bal Gopal, on the night of Janmashtami, I went to sleep. I had a wonderful dream that night. I saw myself in a garden with huge trees laden with fruits and flowers. I was lying underneath a tree, enjoying the cool breeze. Suddenly, a huge snake appeared before me. The extreme state of fear paralyzed me and I called out, oh Krishna. Immediately, a small hand clutched me from behind and the snake got transformed into a garland. When I turned around I saw little Krishna smiling at me. Tears started flowing from my eyes as I uttered again, Oh Krishna. The face of Krishna got blurred due to the tears in my eyes. At that moment my eyes opened and tears started flowing. I jumped out of my bed and ran towards the meditation altar. My Bal Gopal was still smiling at me”.