Reason behind worshipping Lord Ganesha with left sided trunkAugust 20, 2014
Lord Ganesha is a God of good luck and auspiciousness. He is worshipped for blessings of wisdom, wealth, health, fertility and happiness.He is called Vighneshwara as he dispels problems and removes obstacles. He is a deity who removes all the bad qualities, instils good qualities and confers peace on the devotees who meditate on him. He is the master of the intellect and the discriminating power in man.
God of Beginnings
Ganesha is invoked before commencing any activity as he is the God of Beginnings. When Goddess Parvati demanded Shiva to give her son the most important position, Lord Shiva blessed Ganesha by saying,”You shall be worshipped first in any rites and rituals. Other Gods will be worshipped only after your worship”. Thus , Lord Ganesha is worshipped to mark the beginning of all auspicious occasions.
Trunk of Ganesha
Hindus worship Ganesha at home by offering prayers and conducting rituals to his statue. When they buy statues of Ganesha, they make sure that the trunk is curved to the left and not to the right.
The trunk of Ganesha is usually curved or twisted. The shape of the curved trunk symbolizes OM or the primordial sound.Ganesha uses his trunk to destroy the obstacles and turn them into opportunities for growth.
Householders worship Left curved Trunk Ganesha – Why?
Left curved trunk – Grants Material Success
- The trunk facing left is considered to be the direction of victory or success. It stands for material gains and prosperity.
- In most households one can see Ganesha idols with trunk facing left. The position of Ganesha`s trunk holds a symbolic meaning. The trunk curved towards the left is called Vamamukhi. Vam means the northern direction or the left side. The cooling chandra nadi or Moon`s channel is situated in the left trunk of Ganesha. It bestows tranquility, bliss and success in worldly pursuits.
- Left Trunk Ganesha are kept at homes for eradicating doshas relating to vaastu. Left trunk Ganesha is called Vaastu Ganesha.
- Left trunk Ganesha is believed to face Gouri, his mother. This brings in auspicious and positive vibrations at home. Ganesha`s trunk should face the direction of his mother Gouri for good benefits.
- The left curved trunk of Ganesha usually holds sweets or modak. This signifies prosperity and abundance. It helps in the fulfillment of desires and wishes. It is called Idampuri Vinayaka.
Right curved trunk – Grants Moksha
- The right curving trunk stands for salvation or moksha. This form of Ganesha idols need to be worshipped as per Vedic norms and tradition. Right curved trunk Ganesha statues are usually worshipped in temples and religious places. It is called VaIampuri Vinayaka.
- Right curving trunks of Ganesha have pingala nadi or Sun`s energy flowing through it. This helps in the quick fulfillment of goals and achievements. But if due ritualistic worship is not done regularly then it burns away the results coming on the way.
- Hence householders avoid worship to such forms of Ganesha at home and choose to worship the left trunk Ganesha idols.
Ganesha forms with left curved trunk:
Out of 32 forms of Ganesha, 17 have left curved trunks.They are:
Taruna Ganapathi, Vira Ganapathi, Dvija Ganapathi, Sidhi Ganapathi, Ucchhishta Ganapathi, Vighna Ganapathi, Lakshmi Ganapathi, Maha Ganapathi, Vijaya Ganapathi, Nrithya Ganapathi, Urdhva Ganapathi, Varada Ganapathi, Kshipra Ganapathi, Uddanda Ganapathi, Trimukha Ganapathi, Sinha Ganapathi, Durga Ganapathi.
Ways to worship left trunk Ganesha:
When one worships Ganesha with sincere devotion, one obtains the blessings of Sidhi and Ridhi. Sidhi and Ridhi are the two divine consorts of Ganesha who stand for success and prosperity.
One earns the grace of the Lord by simply offering fresh blades of Durva grass, rice flakes, modaks, and ladoos. Ghee lamps can be lit with offering of flowers to gain benefits of wealth, fulfillment of heart`s desires and divine blessings.
Mantras to be chanted to invoke Ganesha
“Om Shri Ganeshaaya Namaha”
“Om Gam Ganapataye Namaha”