Value of a father in one’s life cannot be undermined and celebration of Father’s Day is just a small token of our appreciation for his many contributions in our lives. It is celebrated every year on the third Sunday in the month of June. In 2017, Father’s Day falls on June 18th.
Role of Father in our lives
“I cannot think of any need in childhood as strong as the need for a father’s protection.” - Sigmund Freud, the founder of psychoanalysisStudies have affirmed the importance of a father’s affection and his involvement in the development of a child’s cognitive, behavioral, general health and well-being. While a Mother is for emotional support and nourishment, a father is responsible for creating a secured environment that ensures healthy development of a child. A father teaches a child to handle frustrations and to bear difficulties. He plays a crucial role of disentangling a child of mother’s constant help and protection and helps him/her develop into an emotionally secured and confident individual.
History of Father’s DayThe idea of celebrating a day for the fathers was coined by Sonora Dodd of Washington after she learnt about the concept of Mother’s Day. She wanted to honor her own father who raised her and her 5 other siblings single-handedly after her mother died. After lot of resistance and negotiations Dodd managed to convince the lawmakers to dedicate a day for the Fathers. In 1972 celebration of Father’s Day on the third Sunday in June was formally acknowledged by a Congressional Act under President Richard Nixon. However, officially recognized date of Father’s Day varies from country to country.
How can you make your Dad feel special on Father’s Day
- Wish him, if possible with a warm hug – Fathers love to be loved and appreciated. A hug from his children would make him feel loved and valued. Give him a certification for ‘Best Dad Ever’. It will make his day. If you live far away, at least make sure to call him and tell him that you love him and something about him that you appreciate.
- Gift him something he wanted to have- Think of something he has been longing to have and if it fits in your budget then this could be a nice surprise. A collage of his pictures (school days, memorable event or even something you did together) is another good option to make him happy.
- Spend time together – Spending time with your Dad talking about things you enjoyed doing with him or asking his opinion about something important in your life would make him feel good. You can also join him for a walk or a ride or arrange a family picnic
- Help Mom prepare his favorite food – Treat your Dad with the culinary delights he would love to relish. If your father is a foodie, then this will surely pep him up.
- Plan a surprise party – Call your Dad’s best friends and close associates for a small get-together and see how it lightens up his mood.
- Help him relax and enjoy - Help your father unwind by engaging him in his favorite pastime. You can also help your father relax by lending your hand for doing some of his daily chores