Astrology is a field of study that deals with planetary movements in the Universe and their influences on human life. An understanding of how planets move, congregate and become strong or weak at varied points of time is the core matter of its study. Astrology perceives every human to be an expression of unique combinations of planetary bodies at a particular time in the Universe. Such planetary congregations trigger off interaction of heavenly energies, which is seen to manifest in humans. Hence, astrologers study about different cosmic bodies and events in the Universe to understand the correlation between the energy trapped within a human body and in the vast Cosmos. So astrologers, through their years of study, can visualize the kind of energy that exists within a person. He or she can help a person improve through suggestions of various remedies. The art of predicting the effects of planets is important in this field, and good and accurate prediction can be made through years of dedication into the study of cosmic forces.
Different aspects of planets
- Movement of planets: Zodiac is the great circle representing the path on which the planets move in the Cosmos and this 360 degree circle is divided into 12 equal parts, called Zodiac signs or Rasis
- Different planets that Vedic astrologers study: Each sign is ruled by a Graha or Planet claiming Lordship or Ownership over it. In Vedic astrology, Sun and Moon are considered planets and Rahu and Ketu nodes of Moon. The other planets are Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn.
- Zodiac that each planet possesses: While the Sun is the Lord of only the 5th sign, Leo; the Moon takes ownership of the 4th sign, Cancer, Mercury rules over Gemini and Virgo, Venus over Taurus and Libra, Mars over Aries and Scorpio, Jupiter over Pisces and Sagittarius, and Saturn over Aquarius and Capricorn.
- Qualities of different planets: The energies that help in activating force in each planet are Tamasic, Rajasic and Sattwic.
- Tamasic planets: Mars, Saturn, The Nodes (Rahu and Ketu)
- Rajasic planets: Mercury, Venus
- Sattwic planets: Sun, Moon, Jupiter
- Five elements present in planets: Elements of Nature - Fire, Earth, Air, Water and Space influence planet’s and sign’s behaviors. Some of these elements are predominant in Zodiac and planets:
- Fiery planets: Mars rules over Fire. Aries, Leo and Sagittarius with characteristics such as aggressive and bold nature.
- Earthly planets: Mercury rules over Earth. Taurus, Virgo and Capricorn with characteristics such as hard working and practical.
- Airy planets: Saturn rules over Air. Gemini, Libra and Aquarius with characteristics such as higher mental capabilities.
- Watery planets: Venus rules over Water. Cancer, Scorpio and Pisces with characteristics such as emotional connections.
- None of the signs denote Space but Jupiter rules over it.
Horoscope is the birth-chart of a person that shows the planetary locations in the Zodiac at the point of time when the person was born. An astrologer makes his prediction about a person by studying the qualities of the planets evident through his birth-chart.
What does an astrologer study in a birth-chart?
The Vedic Astrology is represented with a 12-square chart. This chart represents the following:
- The 12 Zodiac signs that show the good or bad influences of planets based on their locations in relation to other planets.
- The 12 Houses describes the aspects of a person’s life such as personality, material assets, family-members and so on.
- The Karma or the good and bad effects of our actions and thoughts that will influence the energies in our body and its fallout in future.
- The Constellations of 27 stars or Nakshatras placed in the chart and the prominent ones affecting the energy sources in humans.
- The position of the Moon in the Zodiac decides the Zodiac of the person and the corresponding star most prominent in the same Zodiac is the birth star of the person.
Astrology is surely a vast subject but horoscope is the tool that helps to understand the practical applications of astrology in human life.